Friday, January 1, 2010

Love Birds

A very Happy & Healthy January 1st, 2010 to everyone!

I am so very excited to start this new year with my first DT post for Sweet 'n Sassy Digis. Thank you Korin and Sandy for inviting me to be part of your team! And thank you, Deedee for having given me the encouragement to apply. I am blessed to have this chance getting to know my fellow team mates and consider each of you a part of my 'cyber' family.

With the Holidays behind us, it was so much fun to use the Love Birds which were released yesterday for my first official DT card.



I adore these two little birds. This image is so versatile! Perfect for wedding, anniversary, love or for a friendship card.

For today's card, I paired the image with a sentiment from Valentine Sentiments
in anticipation of Valentine's Day. Perhaps I may actually be ahead instead of behind :-).

The image is printed onto Neenah Classic Crest Ultra Smooth Solar White 80lb card stock and then colored with Copics. I cut out the image using Nestabilities Label Nine die. I used the larger Label Nine die to cut the pink card stock, which I then embossed using the Cuttlebug Heart Blocks embossing folder. I always have a hard time choosing designer paper, but thought that the paper from Bo Bunny Delilah Limited Edition Pack went perfectly with the colors and added the blue grosgrain ribbon for some 'pop'. I had the right idea, but for some reason it didn't turn out as I had envisioned so instead of trying to tie a bow, I used a decorative pin from my stash and some die cut hearts to lay the ribbon edges down. It's different, but I think it looks ok :-). To help cover a little 'oops', I placed the sentiment, (layered onto some scrap paper from my stash) at the bottom of the card which worked out wonderfully to hide my 'oops'.

To really make the Love Birds stand out, I used gray to color the birds on the bottom layer. I then colored another set of birds in yellow, cut them out using a craft knife and adhered them with pop up foam dots to the bottom layer.



Using a gray color on the bottom really creates a nice shadowing and 3D effect. I also make sure to go around the edges of the cut out with a gray marker to help blend the edges in.

Be sure to stop by the Sweet 'n Sassy store to check out all of the great stamps available. The new Digi Bundles are a great way to save some $$$.

Again, wishing you a wonderful and blessed New Year!

8 comments:

  1. Great job, Micki!! We are glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Micki! I love the birds in yellow, I'll have to remember that, I always seem to color mine blue *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micki! What a lovely card!! Every element is just perfect...love that you "popped" the birds. What a great idea to layer the hearts with the pin...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card Micki and I LOVE your colour combo!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love the layer of hearts to the side with the pin and you colored the birds perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Micki, your card is just beautiful!! SUPAH artwork! I used this image for tomorrow's Sweet Stop Sketch, be sure to look for it! Huge Hugs and Happy New Year wishes to you and YOURS!!!!!! Nicole xoox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a gorgeous card, Micki!!! I love how you colored the birds yellow, and those fun layers of hearts with the pin at the side. Congrats again on joining the team -- I'm so glad you have joined us! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete